Public Health

The Shire of Collie focuses on ensuring current legislative requirements are met satisfactorily to prevent adverse health impacts on our community.

View the Shire of Collie Public Health Plan 2022-2027

Food Businesses and Food Safety

A new National Food Safety Standard, 3.2.2A – Food Safety Management Tools has been introduced across Australia to reduce the rate of foodborne illnesses linked to poor handling of food in certain food service, retail and catering food businesses.

If your business is captured by the standard, you must implement the new requirements by 8 December 2023.

The standard introduces three food safety management tools for businesses that handle unpackaged, potentially hazardous, ready-to-eat foods. The three tools include:

  1. Requirement to complete food handler training or demonstrate skills and knowledge in safe food handling practices
  2. Requirement to appoint a qualified food safety supervisor
  3. Requirement to show that your food is safe

Understanding the new Standard
A range of resources are available to help you to find out if the standard applies to your business and to better understand what you must do to meet the new requirements.

Please visit the Food Safety Management Tools for food businesses website to find more information including:

  • a fact sheet
  • what do you need to know infographic
  • guide for food businesses
  • short explainer video
  • details of online food handler training courses
  • details of training courses for food safety supervisors
  • webinar

Why is there a new standard?
The Australia and New Zealand Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation noted that the highest proportion of foodborne illness outbreaks in Australia were linked to food service, catering and retail food businesses. After extensive consultation with industry, Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) developed and approved Standard 3.2.2A, which will ensure food handlers have appropriate skills and knowledge and key food safety controls are adequately managed.

If you are running a food-based business, you and anybody working for you will need to have food safety and food hygiene skills and knowledge. The level of skills and knowledge you need must be appropriate to the food handling activities in your business.

Note: Only businesses not covered by the standard, events that raise funds solely for a community or charitable organization cause and not for personal financial gain (fundraising) are excluded from these requirements

Food Safe

FoodSafe offers an online food safety training course – and you can use a voucher code from the Shire of Collie to access this course for free. To access the training:

  • Visit the FoodSafe website and choose ‘FoodSafe Online’;
  • You will see the course price of $35 – don’t worry! This will be waived with your coupon​;
  • Click on Add to Cart;
  • Click on Add a Coupon and enter the code FSCOLLIS377 then click apply;
  • When the code is applied, the Total will change to $0.00.;
  • Click on Proceed to checkout
  • Enter your contact details and create an account password;
  • Select Place Order.

You will then be sent a confirmation email. Please use the confirmation email for instructions on how to access and sign in to the course. Once you have successfully completed the course, you will receive a printable FoodSafe certificate for your records.​

Food Safety Training Info Sheet.

Waste Management

ensuring that solid and liquid wastes (including sewage effluent) are appropriately managed

Transfer Station – undertaking audits of the Shire landfill to ensure compliance with Department of Environment Regulation Licence conditions.

Effluent Disposal – The Shire of Collie is responsible for the approval and post construction inspection of on-site sewage and effluent disposal systems. Aerobic Treatment Units (ATUs) are required to be serviced and service records are to be provided to the Shire of Collie.  The Shire conducts random audits to ensure ATUs are being serviced correctly. To apply for installation of an effluent disposal system click here.

Water Quality

Ensuring all water used for drinking, food production and recreation is safe.  The Shire provides  water quality testing for premises that rely on rainwater for drinking water supplies on a cost recovery basis. Please call the Shire’s Health Officer to arrange for sampling.

Shire staff regularly test the water at Black Diamond, Minninup Pool, Potters Gorge, Honeymoon Pool and Stockton Lake.  Click here for current water testing results.

Public Buildings and Accommodation

ensuring that buildings and areas accessed by the public are maintained and operated to protect the health and safety of users and occupiers

Public Buildings –  are inspected for compliance with the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992.

Vector and pest control

Fruit Fly – Every year the onset of warmer weather brings on the emergence of Mediterranean fruit fly. To combat this pest it is imperative that all fruit tree owners accept responsibility and take the appropriate control measures.

Recent information from the Department of Agriculture & Food suggests CeraTraps may be a useful complement for property based fruit fly baiting. The trap uses a liquid protein attractant to catch both female and male Mediterranean fruit fly which drown in the solution. It does not contain an insecticide but carries a warning to Keep Out of Reach of Children. The trap is available through various commercial outlets (QFH Multiparts, Elders, Landmark etc). The cost is around $15 per trap.  Refill solution is available.

The attractant will remain active for 4 months as long as it remains wet.

Further information regarding fruit fly treatment is available from the Department of Agriculture Website.

Air quality and noise

working with relevant State Government agencies to ensure legislative standards are met.

Noise Complaints – The Environmental Protection Act 1986 and Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 deal with noise. Commercial and industrial noise complaints may be reported to the Shire’s Health Officer for investigation.  Parties and domestic disturbances should be reported to local police in the first instance. You may fill out a Noise Service Request Form if you are being impacted by noise in your area. For more information on who to contact in the case of a noise complaint check out Noise disturbance information.

Roosters – The keeping of roosters in populated areas (within townsite boundaries) is not allowed and may be reported to the Shire’s Health Officer.

Air Quality Testing – is monitored by the Department of Environment Regulation or by private industry under licensing requirements.  The Shire can assist in determining the requirements and responsibilities for air quality and testing.


Poultry includes bantams, ducks and other domestic fowls.
If you wish to keep poultry on your property, it is important that you are aware of the type of poultry you can keep, the number of poultry allowed and enclosure conditions.
Keeping of Poultry Information Sheet

The Shire of Collie Local Law No.8- Health

The Shire of Collie Local Law No 8 – Health is administered with regard to current levels of risk to public health and in response to complaints.

The Local Law has regulations (often complimenting existing legislation) covering a wide range of matters, including:

  • building design;
  • waste management;
  • keeping of animals including poultry;
  • control of pests including disease vectors such as mosquitoes and rats;
  • infectious diseases; and
  • offensive trades.

Skin Penetration (Body Piercing etc.)

Skin penetration premises are required to comply with the Health (Skin Penetration Procedures) Regulations 1998 and the Health Department’s Code of Practice for Skin Penetration Procedures.

A skin penetration procedure is any procedure which involves the tearing, cutting, puncturing or shaving of the skin and includes services such as:

  • Beauty Therapy
  • Tattooing
  • Nail salons
  • Acupuncture
  • Body piercing
  • Cosmetic enhancements

For information regarding the standards for cleaning and disinfecting equipment for body art/beauty and nail industries, click here.

What do I need to do before I can open?
Before opening the premises you are required to contact the Shire’s Health Service to arrange an appointment time to ensure that the premise complies with the relevant legislation. Once approval is given the premise is then subject to routine inspections by an Environmental Health Officer.